They offer a great list of precautions to take when dealing with email.
- Do not respond to unsolicited (spam) e-mail.
- Be skeptical of individuals representing themselves as officials soliciting personal information via e-mail.
- Do not click on links contained within an unsolicited e-mail.
- Be cautious of e-mail claiming to contain pictures in attached files, as the files may contain viruses. Only open attachments from known senders.
- Validate the legitimacy of the organization by directly accessing the organization's website rather than following an alleged link to the site.
- Do not provide personal or financial information to anyone who solicits information.